Friday, April 15, 2011

Busy Bee

Quite literally :) I've been busy making blocks for the 3x6 Bee on Flickr. I'm alf way through(if I exclude the block I'm supposed to make for myself ;D). It's been really fun. I wish I'd chosen a different block. I should have stuck to something with plain squares, LOL! I'm signed up for next quarter in the Bee as well, so I'll definitely keep that in mind next time.

I also made a book cover for a girl I happened on in the forums for Paperbackswap.com (those who don't know, it's a place to swap gently used books for other books). I go to the site because there isn't a used book store in my area, and I LOVE books. Therefore I have many of them. The ones I realized I probably wasn't going to read again, I decided to swap out. Amanda (the girl in question) had made a request for a cloth cover, and I thought, what the hay! I'll give it a whirl.

Lemme tell you, life lessons here! Namely, remembering that not only do you need a seam allowance for sewing on the lining but you also need one for sewing down the book flap. As you can imagine, the last didn't occur to me AT ALL until the very end when I thought I was done. I'd already top stitched everything, too. I ended up just cutting off all the stitching with my rotary cutter and picking apart the seams to the parts I wanted to keep. Then I remade it to be the correct size.

I ended up with A LOT of scrap ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment