Thursday, August 25, 2011

Bow Tied

After reading something on someone's blog (I can't remember whose), I did something that seriously needed to be done. I gave myself permission to use fabric from my stash. My daughter is transitioning (hopefully) to her toddler bed, and I wanted to make it special (and therefore more likely to happen?) by making her a quilt and matching pillow or sham. At first, I started looking for new fabric. I have a modest stash: less than some, more than others. The thing is this: I rarely use the fabric I've already bought. That was one of the reasons I joined some block swap bees. One reason being that I could be more social that way. The other being I'd actually *have* to cut fabric.

It's funny really. Up until I joined the 3x6 bee, I only had ONE gallon ziploc of scraps. And it wasn't even full. In the last 6 months I have filled up THREE more bags. I finally understand why people have scrapbuster projects!

Anyhow, I've been wanting to make a bowtie quilt for a long time. I dug in my stash and found all my girly pinks and purples--since that's totally my girl's style.Initially, my planning was to make a scrappy pink background with scrappy purple bow ties. Then I started to worry that with all the patterns that the bow ties wouldn't stand out. I thought I had the perfect solution. I had previously bought 3 or so yards of Moda's Bella Solid in Hyacinth. It's a kind of blue-y pink-y purple. I would use *that* for the bow ties.

I figured I was all set, and I started to cut. I really wasn't sure what kind of bow tie quilt I wanted to make: did I want to turn the bows to be more like a lattice (which I love) or angle all the bows and keep them individual (not as fond of but still like)? I decided I'd make it simple by doing a step-by-step assembly line and just see what happened (not good planning, at all).

I spent 3 days (about 4-5 hours a day. I really want an Accucut cutter now) cutting squares. It wasn't without casualties. My poor 4.5 square. I hit it no less than 8 times--on each side! Needless to say, my blade was shot, too. I had forgotten how wonderful a sharp blade feels. For those who have forgotten, too: It's HEAVENLY and as effortless as a hot blade on butter.
I spent another 2 days chain stitching all the squares and pressing them.
And then I took a break and spent 2 more days stitching the remaining solid square to the print. And then I took another break. I don't think I've ever been so reluctant to sew, LOL. Usually, when I get a project, I try and slam it out as fast as possible. I think I made my Nana's quilt in 3 days from start to finish. Last night, I finally started making the actual bow tie blocks. I've made about 20 6.5" sq blocks. I have like 60 more to go. Only time will tell if I do any more tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment