Saturday, December 4, 2010

My Crafty Christmas [4]

Oi, I have been busy. I decided to make my niece an art smock. I used this tutorial from Sew, Mama, Sew! and one of my daughter's old shirts. I used my daughter as a model for the overall fit (except she refused to model for the camera!). I had issue with the arm holes. I'm a novice/beginner sewist. I don't really see why the arm holes have the added half inch to the pattern when the edge is covered by bias tape, not sewn (such as to a lining where you might need a seam allowance). I ended up cutting the arm hole back that half inch to give it a better fit after I cut all the panels out and tested it against my daughter.
The size I made is roughly 24 months/2 years old. I used nearly the whole pack of a 4 yard package of coral pink double fold bias tape. I also made a minor addition in adding a pocket for my niece to carry...I don't know, anything! I just thought a pocket would look nice and add some interest to the front. Oh, and for those who are wondering, the fabric selection is "County Fair" home decor weight fabric designed by Denyse Schmidt.

No comments:

Post a Comment