Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Week 3 - NSM

NaSewMo continues and so do I :D My newest project was inspired by my darling daughter. The last few days she has asked me to draw her several maps. She loves Dora the Explorer and runs around with the map singing the map song. Yesterday, I thought it would be nice to give her something more durable than a sheet of printer paper, and decided to sew her a map. At first, I was going to make it a treasure map, but I wanted it to be more flexible. It's just a generic not-at-all-to-scale 'world' or region map. I made a good bit of progress yesterday.
I started with two fat quarters (one for the background and the other for the backing). They are each in fabric styles that I don't really like any more (civil war, I believe), and I sincerely doubted I'd ever find a way to use them. And then I raided my scrap bag. After I started pinning on elements, I decided it should be a map of a magical place. You know, a world of wonder and majesty? So I added one of Heather Ross's Mermaids (I guess the fresh water variety since it's a river ;D). But then the flower field looked awful lonely this morning, and unicorn moved in from Far Far Away.

I decided against using any batting only because I didn't want the finished product to be too bulky. In the end, I want this to be able to fold easily in half and roll-up (going to add a tie ribbon) for easy portability.

I can tell she likes it already because she keeps coming to to the table and showing me the butterflies (like I don't know they're there. So cute!). I can't wait to see her play with it! Hopefully, it will be done before the weekend...which would give me time to work on my quilt binding.

No comments:

Post a Comment