Sunday, September 5, 2010

Week Two - NSM

I spent the better part of today trying to figure out what my next NSM (or as my guy calls it "NaSewMo" [nah-soh-moe]) project would be. I spent hours pouring over the fabrics I own (and resisted the siren song of buying more) and the patterns available to me. Ultimately, I settled on one of the newer Moda Bake Shop recipes by Happy Zombie (the same that brought us the poochie bag): the Lawn Chair Quilt.

I already own several jelly rolls--one of which just happens to be a basic solid. That fact made this recipe very appealing (and not just because it's totally cute) since now I only need to buy backing fabric. The only thing is this: there is another recipe I want to make that also takes one patterned JR and one solid JR, and I was saving my solid JR for it. It took a long time for me to make a decision. Since the second recipe is for a quilt I want to keep, and this is a Christmas gift, my decision was pretty much made for me.So, the Lawn Chair quilt calls for 3 jelly rolls, but makes two quilts. I don't need to make two quilts, so it was okay that I only own one solid roll. To make one quilt you use 16 out of the 40 strips with the finished size being roughly 48x75. I decided to add one more column to bring the size to ~54x75. Since I'm not making two quilts, I am going to use some of the remaining strips to make a scrappy binding.

I've always liked the way a scrappy binding looks, but I've never tried it. Now I have an excuse, and it keeps me from buying fabric for the binding to boot! I went ahead and paired the strips I want to use with the solid strips and left them ready to sew on my work table. Now there's no excuse for me not to start ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment